Saturday, June 13, 2009

Crayons and a Day of Service

Near the end of Sacrament Meeting last week, I realized I hadn't told the girls to be quiet for a very long time so I glanced over at Emily to see what she was up to. To my horror my dear, sweet 5 year old was scribbling on the bench! Not on the easy-to-clean wood portion, of course not! But instead on the lovely blue fabric! I about died! I quickly pointed it out to Adam and as soon as Emily saw the look of disgust on our faces she started bawling and hid under the now brightly colored bench. I never would have expected her to do something like this! I have no problem imagining Tommy do this, hence the reason he is not allowed crayons or markers yet. But a 5 year old?! Really?! My kids just have a way of surprising me everyday. Later, in Priesthood, volunteers were requested to help clean the church and Adam promptly raised his hand.

Since last Sunday, we have had several discussions about the importance of keeping our churches clean and beautiful and that it is Heavenly Fathers house and He wants us to respect it. This afternoon we went to the church to vacuum and wash windows, along with another talk about what is takes to keep the building clean and what we can do to help. While there, Abby recognized that we were doing service (learned from a FHE lesson a few weeks earlier) which made me feel that finally something got through to them even though it seems as if they aren't listening.

And to complete our day, we were able to have the missionaries over for dinner. I sometimes wonder what happens to our children when we have company. It's as if suddenly the hyperactive button clicks and they begin bouncing off the walls. Even Tommy has started in on it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having the missionaries or other guests, but it gets to be rather annoying and even embarrassing when they won't stop and settle down. The poor elder who was trying to read us a short scripture before they left could hardly get through three words before there was a screech or a loud laugh. And to top it all off, just before they left us with a prayer, Tommy decided it was once again time to bite someone, and I was the closest by. He sunk his teeth in my leg, just off to the inside of my knee, right where the skin is good and soft. Awesome! I have a lovely purple blood blister now.

Oh, and by the way, the crayon came out of the fabric on the bench.

2 comments:

Jenks Jive said...

LOL. I know I shouldn't laugh but it is such a well written story. And isn't it nice to know at some point your children are "getting it".

Amy (Swapp) Tremayne said...

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the comment on my blog...I really appreciated the advice!!